Sunday, May 26, 2013

Costa Rican Adventure

I'm back!

After spending the last week in sunny Costa Rica, I'm here in my fleece pajamas trying to get warm. I already miss it...

We stayed at the Riu Palace in Guanacaste. The sunny side of Costa Rica!




(The view from our balcony)

Of course, the first thing we did was hit the bar. After 3 hours of sleep (our shuttle picked us up at 3 am) and two flights, one involving a mad dash across the airport in Atlanta, we certainly needed a few fruity cocktails to relax. Thankfully, we found our new favorite bartender, whom we would have taken back to Milwaukee with us if we could have. He was pretty much magic when it came to making beach drinks involving layering:



All of those shots came from the same shaker. He just poured and each one came out a different color. 

Most of the vacation was spent with me reading in the room/on the balcony/by the pool. I finished four books, and started a fifth on the flight back. That's the most reading I've done possibly all year, and it felt amazing. I'm all caught up on one of my favorite paranormal romance/mystery series as well. (If you're into it, read The Hollows series by Kim Harrison. It's not over the top, I promise, it's just really, really good.)

We went into the rainforest and I made a new friend:



That's a female rhinoceros beetle. Very tickly. I almost dropped her.

I was even brave enough to go over the hanging bridges through the canopy. It was truly awe inspiring to be standing above the trees. 



(One of the observation points, not a bridge - no good pictures unfortunately)

We learned what rain in the rainforest is like...halfway through the hike it started pouring. Apparently I looked like a lemon ice pop in my (well, Andrew's) poncho, and the tour guide teased me for thinking it wouldn't rain in the rainforest.

Not pictured are the howler monkeys we saw on the way back to the airport, and the spider monkeys we saw in the forest. Andrew even saw a toucan!

I'm happy to be home, but I'm definitely missing Costa Rica.

~Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS