Friday, June 7, 2013

Birthday Resolutions

I've never really been big on New Year's resolutions. I mean, its all well and good to say you're going to do such and such thing in the next year, especially when everyone else is also making self-promises.

But who really keeps up after say, the second week in January? I can definitely say not me.

Instead, I like to make Birthday Resolutions. Usually just a list of things I want to accomplish in the next chapter of my life. I've been pretty successful with them so far.

I'll show you what I mean. Here are last year's:

  • Continue to get a grip on my financial life. I’ve made good progress so far, and I’m proud of me.
  • Get down to my goal weight. I’ve lost 11 lbs this year so far, and I’ve got approximately 20-29 more to go. I’ll stop when I feel healthy again. Its definitely within reach and I’m so proud of the fact that I’m doing it the healthy way this time, instead of just, you know. Not eating.
  • Get married! Not a huge resolution because that’s already happening, but its still a big milestone. My 24th birthday, I will have a different last name.
  • Be a year closer to my degree. I’ve got about two years left, more if I add a second major. This time next year, I’ll be planning my senior year and maybe studying for the GRE.
  • Leave the country for the first time ever.
  • Maybe even leave the country alone. I want to see London, but I want to go by myself. It’s a good thing to put in the maybe pile.
  • Continue to grow and mature as both a person and a writer.
I can honestly say I've done pretty well. I'm on top of the bills and finances in our household, and I'm nearly debt-free (excluding student loans. Yikes.)

As far as weight loss...I feel like this is something I'll constantly be struggling with. We're working on it.

Obviously, I'm married! Yay! Score another for Megan.

I'll be done with my degree by the end of next summer. I'm taking a giant course load, summer classes, and an interim course in order to finish ASAP. I'm so relieved and I can't wait to really bury my nose in some books.

I traveled to Costa Rica, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a summer study abroad program to Ireland. Score on both sides, if the program works out, since I'll obviously be doing that one on my own!

I know that last part is probably pretty vague. Honestly,  I feel as though I have grown immensely as a person in the last year. I mean, emotionally, mentally, spiritually. I really wish I could say physically because trying to explain to people that yes I'm only 4'11" and no I'm not a midget is really tiring on so many levels. I wouldn't mind an extra three inches in the height department, but I digress...

This blog is obviously a tool I'm using to continue building my writing skills. I'm enjoying every post, and I can only see myself going up from here.

Stay tuned for my next round of resolutions!

~Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS