Friday, June 28, 2013

Book Review - Perfect Girls, Starving Daughters

Okay, I admit I'm not 100% finished with this book. But I can't put it down or get it out of my head.



I identify so much with the kinds of girls Courtney Martin describes. The girl who is bothered by lopsided circles in her class notes, the girls that were told "you're special" all through life and hate themselves when they can't pick up a new skill immediately. Those of us that really did hear "you can do anything" and interpreted "you have to be everything".

Martin's writing is very relatable - its as if your best friend is holding up a mirror and revealing a very secret part of your life.

I have struggled with disordered eating since I was a teenager. I have interpreted this struggle as my means of control when I feel as though nothing is going right in life. It is comforting to know that I am not alone - my situation is not unique. I'm not the only girl that was placed in the gifted programs, the accelerated programs, and yet struggled with one subject, becoming frustrated to the point of forgoing food.

I highly recommend this book. Through it, I am understanding more about myself and my interpretation of the world.

~Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS