Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Rule Number One




Every. Day.

Otherwise this is what will happen:

Yesterday, I decided to wear leggings as pants. Not even with a tunic length-top. I was wearing a t-shirt and ballet flats. Very obviously a leggings-as-pants situation. Oh, and a boyfriend cardigan. Needless to say, I was feeling very lazy (and having a "my leggings are kind of the only things that fit right now" Regina George day). I went to class. Not a big deal - my campus is a toss up between well dressed and not so much.

Of course, as I'm stuffing my face with potstickers in the cafe, I see a girl I went to high school with (we aren't friends). We ignored one another but I still felt that twinge of "oh good, of course on the day I look like a mess".

It gets better.

Tuesday nights are my standing appointment at a wine bar downtown. On a nice street downtown, with well-dressed clientele. However, I decided to throw caution to the wind and go right from class to the bar. It usually ends up being just the wine director (a good friend of mine) and I, so I wasn't really worried. And for the most part, it was just the two of us. Fast forward to the end of the night: I'm chatting with my friend, about the new store opening next door. I look into the window to see what they're selling. The lights go on and a very nice looking, well-dressed man opens the door and says "Hey, I saw you looking in the window, why don't you come in and see what the store is like? We aren't open yet but come on in." Okay, of course it turns out to be a high-end women's clothing and accessories store. Of course.

Fast forward about 15 minutes. My husband and his friend show up to pick me up, since I'd taken the bus down there and it was late by this point. Turns out, Andrew's friend C knows the very nice looking man - who runs a local fashion magazine and is pretty much "the" fashion guy in Milwaukee. Of course, on the day I'm wearing leggings-as-pants.

Though it turned out that the guy was trying to pick me up, telling C he was "just trying to pick up this beautiful girl" when the guys showed up (which turned into a contract for C's PR business! Score!). He wasn't too thrilled to see my husband, but I had the ego stroke of a lifetime (and apparently I'm losing the ability to tell when I'm being flirted with - though he was very, very smooth about it. He gave me his phone number and Andrew laughed that I didn't immediately realize what was going on. What? He had a good reason - he wanted to show me the store when the apparel side was done and get my opinion! Okay, that still sounds like flirting now that I type it out. Oops.)

Even though this story turned out with a very happy ending, imagine how much nicer it would have been had I decided to dress somewhat nicely? Even jeans instead of leggings. Or black pants! Something with a zipper or button!

I've learned my lesson.

(Though at the moment, I'm wishing it was acceptable for me to go to the CVS in my pajamas...though I've had a few run-ins there too. Ah, well.)

~Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS