Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy 4th of July!

I hope everyone had a great time today!

I spent the day at my grandmother's house for an impromptu barbeque. It was great, because it gave me a chance to use up the rhubarb and strawberries I had from my trip to the farmer's market last week, to make these guys:

Some Phyllo dough, a recipe for pie filling, and a few blueberries later and I had a very patriotic (and tasty!) dessert.

Most of the afternoon was spent outside, enjoying the weather (which was about 10 degrees warmer at my grandma's house ) and taking little trips down memory lane.

My grandma and I were walking in the yard, and she said "Remember when you and your cousins would play "indians" and you would mash up grass and berries to serve to us? Bark was your specialty!" Apparently, I was all about the food even back then.

We also discovered that her cherry tree was giving fruit! My favorite cherries (and the only ones I'll eat) are the really tart ones, which happen to grow on that tree. You'd better believe I left with plenty:


I think another tart is in order. These little cherries are just too perfect. That is, if they last long enough for me to bake with, I can't stop eating them!

Well, the fireworks just ended so I should probably get some homework done. I hope everyone enjoyed our midweek holiday!

~Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS